Skip to main content

Generate sum of squares of numbers with matlab

Problem:

Write a function in matlab which gives the sum of squares of numbers until the numbers given. For example the input is 5 then the answer should be (1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2).

Solution:

The solution is quite simple and you can easily understand by seeing the program.
For explanation see it below the program section.

Program:


function answer = sum_of_squares(n)
%this function will calculate the sum of squares 
%of n numbers
%for Example if number is 5 then the function will calculate
%1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2

%Variable to store the value of the sum
answer = 0;
for i = 1:n
    answer = answer+i^2;
end

Download the above code in matlab file format from here: sum_of_squares.m

Explanation:

In this function we will loop through the numbers from 1 to n and we will square them and add them all to get the result.
First we will create a variable answer to store the value of the sum of the squares generated in each iteration. We will equate the answer variable to 0.
Now a for loop is created, and the iterator i is squared and added to the answer variable.

First iteration

After first iteration the value of the variable answer is 1

Second iteration

After second iteration the value of the variable answer is 1+4 = 5

and this iteration goes on till the number n is reached.

Note that I have not pasted any trial runs of the program because you have to try all of these and learn the solution.

Download the above post and read it offline here: sum_of_squares.pdf

The code was formatted using hilite.me

Run the program and comment below the output you are getting for a given input.
Keywords: sum of squares, matlab function

Popular posts from this blog

Project Euler Problem 62 solution with python

Cubic permutations ¶ The cube, 41063625 (3453), can be permuted to produce two other cubes: 56623104 (3843) and 66430125 (4053). In fact, 41063625 is the smallest cube which has exactly three permutations of its digits which are also cube. Find the smallest cube for which exactly five permutations of its digits are cube.

Project Euler Problem 67 Solution with Python

Maximum path sum II By starting at the top of the triangle below and moving to adjacent numbers on the row below, the maximum total from top to bottom is 23. 3 7 4 2 4 6 8 5 9 3 That is, 3 + 7 + 4 + 9 = 23. Find the maximum total from top to bottom in triangle.txt (right click and 'Save Link/Target As...'), a 15K text file containing a triangle with one-hundred rows.

Add/Embed SVG to Blogger website

In this post I will tell you my method(trick) of adding SVG images in a blogger website or blog. Before starting , the first thin g I am assu m ing is that you are aware of SVG if you are here. If not please see S calable V ec tor G raphics Recently when I tried to embed a SVG image for a post on pygal, I tried uploading the SVG file and blogger Image uploader came up with an error, because of which I had to find some other way.  SVG File upload Error in Blogger  I started sea rc hing Google " Embed SVG in Blogger " . I found blogorrhea , w h ich gave some i nformatio n on add ing SVG directly as a markup , which worked , but I faced another problem using this . Also th is guy has used lot of Javascript which was confusin g for me, being new to using SVG.   So I first t houg ht of learning on h ow to embed SVG in HTML and t his on e worked out. Actually we can embed SVG in HTML i n following ways: Using Object tag Using Iframe tag Using embed...